A question our AirVantage service techs get a lot is… “Are 2 Speed and Variable Speed AC Systems Worth The Additional Cost?“
For those who are looking for something more efficient, the real savings that come from investing in a two-stage or variable speed AC system are certainly worth considering.
Why? It’s simple in that these units have fewer instances of cycling on and off, which allow you to enjoy:
Lower energy bills – More effective humidity control – Better balanced indoor temperatures
So how do these systems work?
Two-stage AC: This technology features two speeds: high and low. When the weather is hot, two-stage AC systems run at full capacity (high setting). When the weather turns mild or cooler, these units automatically reduce their power to a lower setting and run longer at about 60 to 70 percent capacity. This lower setting decreases the amount of on/off cycles and limits the burden on the compressor—resulting in less problems and breakdowns & some energy savings.
Variable speed AC: These units are quite similar to two-stage systems. However, the main benefit to homeowners is they operate much more efficiently. You see, Variable Speed systems don’t just have a low or high setting, their working capacity depends on the particular indoor temperature your home needs and in many instances they are able to work at near 1/4 capacity. This doesn’t mean less cool air—rather, variable units provide gradual cooling by running almost continuously throughout the day. They may run all day without stopping if it’s scorching outside!
So Which One is Better for Your Home?
Here’s where it gets tricky. Two-stage and variable speed air conditioners are often more than double the cost of single-stage systems. So, a lot of factors come into play like… is this your dream home where you know you’ll be for a long time or, are you one that might get transferred to another city in the next 4 years or so? Deciding whether a variable or 2 speed system is a good investment really depends on the above & your specific indoor comfort needs.
Here, all along the Texas Gulf Coast we have high humidity issues. In most cases we can recommend a single stage American Standard system.
Keep in mind, that if someone in your home does have a health issue with high indoor humidity or, you just want to lower your electricity bills over time, AirVantage can look at your present system and help you make an informed decision about a variable speed or two-stage system.
Let AirVantage Help. Are 2 Speed and Variable Speed AC Systems Worth The Additional Cost?
There is no “better” choice—only the best choice for your specific household needs.
AirVantage Air Conditioning & Heating Services is available to help you navigate through the many Air Conditioning options. Call or text 409-925-6171 to schedule an appointment for AC installation or repair in the League City area.
Check This System Out-
- Reduce up to 56 percent of your energy usage with this central air system that surpasses government efficiency standards.*
- This home central air conditioner runs at 70 percent capacity except on the hottest days when it steps up to the seond stage thanks to a two-step Duration™ compressor with two-stage cooling.
- Experience quiet operation with this system that is so quiet, you’ll barely notice it’s running.
- Enjoy our home cooling systems that cool your home with an environmentally friendly refrigerant that’s ozone-safe.
- Get more efficient and reliable cooling, thanks to a durable Spine Fin™ coil found in this home central air conditioner.
- Rust-resistant coating, screws and basepan protect system from the elements.